While a yard management system is an innovative software solution designed to maintain the sufficient movement of trailers in the yard of an operations facility, distribution center, or warehouse, a warehouse management system manages the supply chain fulfillment process from the distribution center to the store’s shelf. Yard management systems are full-service software solutions that encompass warehouse management systems asa useful integration. Think of a warehouse management system acting as an extension of a yard operations.
When solely using a WMS yard module, which is an extension of a traditional WMS service, it is optimized to efficiently track the flow of inbound/outbound inventory, identify and implement storage solutions, provide labor resources, and directly assist with the flow of orders. But when you need a larger, more comprehensive system, a YMS provides a wide range of benefits that come with positive results. Such benefits include:
• Improved communication across all aspects of the yard, from manager to yard worker.
• Enhanced real-time alerts and dock notifications.
• Improved driver resources for transporting inventory.
• Accurate forecasting of vehicle availability.
• Key performance indicators (KPIs) that increase the level of accuracy, visibility, and quality of your logistical operations.
The immediate and long-term benefits speak for themselves of what a full-service yard management system is capable of.