Why run yard logistical operations with any level of uncertainty? Instead of playing a constant guessing game, know exactly where inventory is always. Better yet, receive alerts if anything goes wrong too, so you can make appropriate changes for future shipments.
Yard management systems offer an extensive range of features and benefits to a yard:
• Visibility: A YMS provides real-time visibility into a yard’s assets including their location, container contents, number counts, dock times, etc.
Every staff member and manager will have access to see what is on the yard—no need for phone calls or emails. Information will always be readily available.
• Freight/Inventory Tracking: A YMS eliminates the need to manually track incoming freight and inventory. Due to automated processes,
a YMS integrates with other software (TMS, WMS, etc.) to increase the overall line of sight into what’s happening in the yard.
• Gate & Dock Management: Gate and dock processes are automated to ensure the safety of carriers and yard workers, improve accuracy,
and greatly reduce the risk of human error.
• Self-Service Appointments & Reduced LotCheck Times: Automated processes greatly decreases the amount of time required to check
in at the gate and dock by half.
• Reduced Detention and Demurrage Fees: YMSallows you to be in control and automatically calculate time in inventory to monitor detention and
demurrage expenses and ensure products are ready or when they’ve stayed for too long.
• Faster Trailer Spotting: The ability to know when a trailer needs to be requested to and from a dock door is easier with the use of a yard
management system. This increases the total amount of assets that are staged and loaded daily.
A lot of the time, important information is lost in the shuffle, neglected, and or left unused. With a full-service yard management system, it has the bandwidth and capabilities to efficiently track and manage all aspects of your business’s yard operations through turning raw data into actionable insights. Through leveraging specific analytics and reporting metrics, a Yard Manager has all the resources they’ll need to make effective business decisions and increase ROI. Utilizing specific reporting tools allows you to gain competitive advantage:
• KeyPerformance Indicators (KPIs)
• Gate Metrics: Data gathered at the gate such as gate throughput and accuracy.
• Spotters Metrics: This is the total percentage/number of tasks by a certain type (i.e., dock bump, manual move, pull, or spot), the average time
used per task, the average number of tasks assigned per driver, and total idle time spent.
• Carrier Metrics: This equals the total percentage of early, on-time, or late deliveries with an average detention rating.
• Equipment Metrics: The total number of weekly shipments, the dwell time organized by equipment type, the average delay for late loads,
the percentage/percentage/amount of equipment by load type, and percentage/number of equipment by type.