What are the Types of Technology Used in Yard Management?
Below are different types of technology you may see used in yard management systems.
What are Some of the Cons with the Technology Used in Yard Management?
Maybe you’ve found yourself stuck in one of these scenarios or maybe you’re contemplating utilizing one of these specific technologies. Look at the following concerns and see what you think:
- Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) – The costs for it can be much higher than using barcodes to scan inventory across the yard. While the vision of having RFID technology as part of your yard management system might be intriguing, the simple fact is that it can cause more harm and work than initially expected.
- Barcodes – Although useful, barcode scanning have no read or write capabilities, as they do not contain any added information such as expiration date, etc. Also, there will be an investment requirement for your warehouse management system to implement the barcodes, including an increase in labor assistance.
- Kiosks – Although they may help with the initial gate entry process, they can cause significant delays in the procedure of confirming carriers and their cargo before proceeding into the yard. Unfortunately, it could result in another unneeded expense.
- GPS – Sometimes, relying on a GPS to take you to where you need to go is not always the most efficient solution, as there is always the chance for it to lag in location, especially with older technology. There will always be a sense of a “guessing game” of where a carrier or shipment is.
- Drones – While still in the works of becoming a wide-spread utilization, it’s too soon to tell if drones are a long-term benefit for yard management.
Allow Our YMS to Do All of the Work for You!