Becoming a Shipper of Choice means that carriers have a desire to work with them because of the value they bring to the entire partnership. They value the relationship you have with the carrier, not just because they are required. A Shipper of Choice, in addition to establishing valuable partnerships, also implements practices that improves yard and carrier efficiencies. Shippers of Choice save time, which is a critical component of the process.
If a shipper and carrier relationship is at its best, then the shipper will continuously put effort to reduce the time it takes to checkin, drop off, and pickup for the carrier. It shows that the carrier respects the driver’s time, which is how they make their money.
Want to become a Shipper of Choice? Follow the following key steps to generate the best results.
1. Be sure to avoid detention times.
2. Whenever possible, maintain flexibility for all shipment schedules.
3. Create and provide parking options for accessibility.
4. Foster a safe and easily accessible location which generates efficiencies.
5. Respect drivers and their loads to maintain a positive work environment.
6. Identify areas of improvement and leveraging data to back them up.
By putting these practices in place, you’ll put your best foot forward as a go-to shipper.